The activities in the program designed to achieve the objectives include:
- Staff undertaking visits to remote hills villages to encourage young women from poor families who have had education up to 10th standard to join Grihini
- Providing flexible programs that meet the diverse range of students’ educational needs
- Providing all students, no matter what level of education they have, with a basic education in life and communication skills in both Tamil and basic English.
- Providing education in practical skills in specific areas appropriate to the context, including garment design and computer use
- Providing targeted coaching for students to reach the level to obtain a diploma or to pass the government year 10 and 12 examinations
- Forming partnerships with local industries and organisations so that students can engage in projects and internships that will enable these women to have the skills and the confidence to obtain employment.
- Maintaining contact with Grihini Alumni in order to empower the women to become agents of change in their poor villages.
The program is designed to provide the following opportunities:
Diplomas: All students have the opportunity to be awarded diplomas by accredited educational institutions in India has evidence of to their educational achievements in Grihini. To do this we bring in additional experts to provide education specific knowledge and skills
Computer literacy: All students are supported o become computer literate. To achieve this a state of the art computer lab has been constructed that provides all computers with broadband internet connection.
Engagement in Project Work: The College arranges suitable venues for students to engage in project work related to the specialist skills that have elected to develop.
Internships Participation: Upon their successful completion of the course all the students are allocated to industry placements to gain confidence in, and generate evidence of, their employability.
The major objectives of the current program are:
- To recruit poor women with education up to 10th standard
- To provide basic education in life and communication skills including basic English
- To provide practical skills in specific areas appropriate to the context, including garment design and office management
- To enable these women to reach the level to obtain a diploma
- To enable these women to have the skills to obtain employment
- To empower the women to become agents of change in poor villages.
The motto of our Community College is “Fit for life, fit for job and be happy”. Our Grihini formation and awareness is imparted to the students through various activities and classes. The students are highly motivated and very enthusiastic to learn.